For those considering membership in the
Swarthmore Friends Meeting
We invite you to talk with us about joining our community of spiritual seekers.
We are delighted that you are interested in learning more about joining Swarthmore Friends Meeting. This page will help explain what membership in our Meeting involves, and will provide you with additional information about how to become a member.
What does membership
in the Swarthmore Friends Meeting involve?
Membership in the Swarthmore Meeting is a commitment. That commitment can grow (and usually does grow) over time, but initially and fundamentally, the commitment is to be on a spiritual journey with other people in the meeting. That journey can take many forms. It can mean:
- Your own private connection to and understanding of the divine.
- Participation in the activities of the Meeting, including but not limited to: meeting for worship, cooking for the homeless, the Christmas pageant and carol sing, potluck lunches and dinners, the religious education program for children, religious education forums for adults, worship sharing groups, the Jumble Sale, the bird walk, social action activities, meeting committees, financial support, and meeting for business.
- Living a life consistent with the Quaker testimonies of simplicity, peace-making, integrity, community-building, equality and stewardship.
- Participation in the wider Quaker world, including organizations such as Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and Friends General Conference.
- Service on the boards of and attendance at many wonderful Quaker institutions, such as our Quaker schools and retirement communities.
How can I learn more about becoming a member?
If you are considering joining our Meeting, please contact us. (See contact information below.) We will be delighted to meet with you and discuss your interest in membership and address any questions you may have, such as questions about:
- Our way of worshiping
- Activities you might enjoy participating in
- How you might contribute to the life of the meeting
- The Quaker decision making process of consensus
- Our commitment to social action
- Any other topics you would like to learn more about
To find out more about joining, please contact us in one of the following ways:
- Talk to one of the members of our Care and Counsel Committee who serves as a “Friendly Presence” at the end of Meeting for Worship
- Call the Meeting secretary at (610) 328-8699
- Email us at [email protected].
- Write to us at Swarthmore Friends Meeting, 12 Whittier Place, Swarthmore, PA 19081.
We are always excited when someone wants to share his or her spiritual journey with us and we look forward to hearing from you.